Sunday, February 05, 2006

A real Super Sunday

In addition to watching the Super Bowl like half of America today, I went to two funerals. Yes, two.

I actually didn't know either person, but I worked with their daughters. The two men who passed away didn't know each other either, but they had remarkable similarities. Both were devoted family men with two children. Both were young, one was in his late 40s, while the other was in his early 50s. Both were active in the church and community.

But what garnered my attention the most was the outpouring of love and affection for both men. The church was overflowing at both funerals - I didn't get a seat at either one.

The legacy we leave on this Earth is measured in the people that we touch. By all accounts, both of these men, whom I never met, leave a proud and successful following. They lived their lives as good, decent people who served their families, their communities, and their God faithfully.

Though they leave behind young, grieving families, I couldn't help but be impressed at the sheer number of the lives they touched in their short times on Earth. Being a part of their celebration of life today - now that was a real Super Sunday.

No comments: